Lower temperatures this time of year can result in a variety of electrical problems for both homes and businesses. We believe knowing the most common issues is the first step in preventing them from happening in the first place. Keep reading to learn more about the most common winter electrical issues in Carlsbad, NM, and how you can avoid them:
- Tripping a breaker: Strands of holiday lights, multiple space heaters and heavy-duty appliances can all put quite a strain on your home’s electrical system. When that’s the case, you may accidentally trip a breaker. Though it’s not the end of the world, a tripped breaker can be a bit of a headache!
- Power outages: Nasty weather outside raises the risk of a power outage, especially in homes with old or faulty wiring. Though you can’t do anything to prevent a storm, you can have your electrical system inspected to ensure it’s up to date and capable of withstanding bad weather.
- Static electricity: Lower humidity in the air makes static electricity quite prevalent each winter. It’s annoying when static electricity gives your hand a little shock, but static electricity gets dangerous when it ignites a flammable material in your home. Getting a humidifier can reduce the amount of static electricity in your home, preventing minor shocks and reducing your home’s risk of fire.
- Old equipment: Outdated space heaters, heated blankets and other heating appliances aren’t always compatible with modern homes. As a result, they’re fire hazards, and they can cause problems like a tripped breaker. As a general rule, replace any heating appliance that’s been in your family more than 10 years or so.
Stay safe this winter
Follow these simple steps and you can avoid injuries and the most common winter electrical issues in Carlsbad, NM:
- Have an electrical inspection: As mentioned above, getting an inspection is a great way to prevent power outages and a variety of other electrical issues! Though they’re not free, a professional inspection can prevent a fire from burning down your home and destroying all of your belongings.
- Watch how you use generators: Buying a backup generator is a great idea, as it keeps your home powered and heated during an outage. But before you start using that generator, consult with an electrician to ensure you know how to use it correctly. Misuse of generators results in fires and potentially even carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Upgrade your equipment: In order to avoid tripped breakers, we recommend increasing your home’s electrical circuit with a heavy up—essentially, an increase in the amount of amperage coming into your home. Give us a call today to learn more about how a heavy up can help accommodate all of your home’s power needs this year.
- Don’t overload power strips: Plugging appliances and lights into power strips is quite handy this time of year, but be sure you’re not overloading that strip with too many plugs! An overloaded power strip can trip a breaker or even start a house fire.
There’s never been a better time to upgrade your equipment or have an electrical inspection of your home. Give JB Electric LLC a call today to get a free estimate for any of our services, and ensure you don’t fall victim to any common winter electrical issues in Carlsbad, NM!
Categorised in: Electrical Issues