There may come a time when you need to rewire your home—but do you know when it’s time for residential electrical repair and replacement? Generally, home wiring is designed to last a long time. As technology improves and we need more electricity, however, you may find that your old wiring is not sufficient for your needs. Eventually, your wiring will need to be repaired for safety and efficiency reasons.
Here are the top signs you need old or aluminum wiring replacement in Carlsbad, NM:
- Aluminum wiring: Homes built between 1965 and 1973 often used aluminum wiring, which has been shown to increase the risk of a house fire. If you have aluminum wiring in your home—or if your home was built in that date range—schedule an inspection as soon as possible. If you do have aluminum wiring, consider replacing it to prevent house fires.
- Old wiring: Older wiring simply doesn’t meet today’s electrical demands. Once your home is over 50 years old, it’s probably time to have it rewired. Not only is old wiring a safety hazard (contributing to about 10 percent of house fires), but it can’t support the dozens of devices, televisions, video games and computers that we use every day.
- Flickering lights: Flickering lights indicate that there may be loose wiring connections in your home’s electrical system. If you notice this issue, first check to ensure that all of your light bulbs are screwed in tightly. If that doesn’t appear to be the issue, have a contractor inspect your home’s wiring and make any necessary repairs.
- Frequent circuit breaker trips: When too much electricity flows through an electrical circuit, the circuit breaker trips and shuts off that circuit. This often happens during storms and power surges. If, however, your circuit breaker frequently trips, call an electrician. There may be something wrong with that particular area of the wiring.
- Discolored switches and sockets: If your switches and sockets are discolored (and not just from touching them with dirty hands), it’s a sign that something’s burning. Look for brown and black marks and then call an electrician immediately.
- Not enough outlets: When there aren’t enough outlets in your home, call an electrician—don’t daisy-chain power strips and extension cords. This can be dangerous and may cause a fire.
- Burning odors: Finally, if you notice burning odors, your electrical wiring may be to blame. When the wires short, they can burn walls, outlets, switches and more. Don’t delay calling for professional help, as this could be a sign of imminent electrical fires.
Whether you need full aluminum wiring replacement or residential electrical repair in Carlsbad, NM, JB Electric LLC is here to help. Call us today for all your field, residential and commercial electrical needs. Our team of electricians will be happy to help troubleshoot and repair any issues you’re experiencing, whether it’s from old wiring or an as-yet-unsolved issue. No matter what the size and scope of your project, we can assist.
Categorised in: Electrician